What is Cosplay?
Cosplay, or, costume play, is a performance art in which participants called cosplayers wear costumes and fashion accessories to represent a specific character.
Sugar City Con’s Cosplay Competition
Every year, local cosplayers get to take the stage at Sugar City Con to show off hand crafted costumes which can range from simple themed clothing to highly detailed costumes. The competition is FREE for all ages, if you would like to join in this year, please read the following rules and submit your entry via the form below.
- All contestants are responsible for all expenses related to competing in the Cosplay Competition including all lodging and travel to and from the convention centre.
- Entrants must provide a written description that the M.C. will read during their appearance on stage. This may describe the details of the costume or provide a story about the character being portrayed. You may offer details about the construction process, materials, number of work hours, or anything that might impress the judges.
- No profanity allowed on stage. That includes messages on signs or clothes. Anyone who violates this may be disqualified from the competition.
- No political or religious statements are allowed on stage or during judging. Anyone who violates this may be disqualified from the competition.
- Costumes cannot promote alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing), any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous or any particular political agenda or message;
- Costumes cannot be obscene or offensive, endorse any form of hate or hate group;
- Costumes cannot defame, misrepresent or contain disparaging remarks about Sugar City Con or its products, or other people, products or companies;
- Costumes cannot communicate messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which Sugar City Con wishes to associate; and the costume cannot depict, and cannot itself, be in violation of any law.
- Please refrain from wearing or using any substances that may potentially interfere with another participant’s costume. If you are wearing body paint or make-up, please make sure it will not come in contact with others. Do not leave anything on stage that could damage the other costumes. Do not leave anything on stage at all.
- No nudity. All costumes should provide enough coverage to be worn in public and should be in good taste and appropriate for a family-friendly show. Gore, graphic violence or other objectionable elements may be grounds for disqualification as determined by the judges or Sugar City Con Staff.
- Contestants are responsible for their own belongings. We are unable to provide a secure area for personal items. We recommend bringing an assistant to help with belongings
- Any participant may be disqualified from the contest by Convention Management, Sugar City Con Staff or official costume judges for failure to observe any of these rules. All decisions made by the judges and staff are final.
- No electrical power connections will be provided. If your costume requires power it must be part of your costume design.
- Wings, large props, or large costumes are just fine, but if your costume is over 8 feet tall, or 4 feet wide you may not fit through the doors. If possible make wings and other parts that make your costume so large detachable. We have no limit on the size of costumes or props, but ask that you be safe and aware while on stage. You will be responsible for ALL damage to the stage, lighting, technical aspects or any convention property.
- All participants who make it to prejudging will be required to sign a permission/release/waiver form to participate in the contest.
- Sugar City Con reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Contest, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond Sugar City Con’s reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Sugar City Con reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of the Official Rules of this or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sugar City Con reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sugar City Con’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
- Limitations of Liability: Sugar City Con is not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, typographical errors, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (5) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize. If for any reason an entrant’s entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, entrant’s sole remedy is another entry in the Contest, if it is possible. If the Contest, or any part of it, is discontinued for any reason, Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may elect to hold a random drawing from among all eligible entries received up to the date of discontinuance for the prize offered herein.
- If you participate in the Sugar City Con Cosplay Competition you agree to any media before, during and after the competition from Sugar City Con and any other related parties and agree for your image or likeness to be used on Sugar City Con promotional material and/or live streams in perpetuity.
- All prop weapons must conform to the Sugar City Cons Weapons Policy, the following items are generally forbidden at Sugar City Con:
- Functional firearms (including air soft guns, BB guns, cap guns, paintball guns and pellet guns)
- Realistic replica firearms (including reproduction, fake or toy guns that can be confused for functional firearms)
- Functional projectile weapons (including blow guns, crossbows, long bows, silly string, slingshots, water balloons and water guns)
- Sharpened metal-bladed weapons (including axes, daggers, hatches, knives, kunai, shuriken, swords, sword canes and switch blades)
- Explosives (including firecrackers and fireworks)
- Chemical weapons (including mace and pepper spray)
- Blunt weapons (including brass knuckles, clubs and nunchaku)
- Hard prop weapons (including props made of metal, fiberglass and glass)
- Instruments that cause excessive noise levels like vuvuzelas
- Aerosol mustard
- Prop weapons will be allowed providing they are composed of cardboard, foam, wood or other light materials. Prop firearms are allowed only if they cannot be mistaken for real weapons. The barrel of all prop firearms must be covered with brightly-coloured caps. Prop bows will be allowed providing all arrows have soft tips.
- The judge’s decision is final and will be subject to independent audit review by the Sugar City Con Committee.
- Animals in the form of pets (excluding companion animals’ e.g seeing eye dogs etc) will not be allowed on premise at any time.
The Judging Panel will be voting on the following elements: