Enter the Annual Art Competition
What does the Art Competition involve?
Local aspiring artists (amateur or experts) are encouraged to submit their works of art at the annual Sugar City Con Art Competition. There is no set theme, and judging happens on the day by the judges & popular vote. Big prizes are up for grabs for the winning entries!
Sugar City Con Art Competition
Please be sure to read all the rules carefully; especially note the policy on abandoned artwork. Art show rules may change from year to year: please READ THESE RULES CAREFULLY!
While Sugar City Con may provide volunteer guards in the art show area, we cannot be responsible for lost or stolen artwork. Any models or statues, please place in an appropriate display.
We require notice of when you will be collecting your piece from the Convention.
Entry into the Sugar City Con Art Competition is $10 per piece for all age categories.
If you have any questions regarding the rules, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration Opens – 5 Feb 2017
Registration Closes – 1 Jun 2017
All Artwork to be Delivered to Mackay Showgrounds – 5:00PM 4 Aug 2017
Sugar City Con – 5th August 2017
We encourage you to Enter by purchasing an Art Competition Ticket for Each Art Piece you wish to enter, then complete and submit the Art Competition Entry Form below before the due deadline.
Submitting the entry form below is your agreement to follow the below rules and conditions. If you fail to follow the rules, you will be removed from the art show and entry fees will not be refunded. Submitting the application means you will be held to all the rules, whether you have read them or not.
The exhibitor shall at all times protect, indemnify, save and keep harmless Sugar City Con against and from any loss, cost, damage, liability or expense which arises out of or by reason of any act or omission of the exhibitor, employees or agents.
From this point forward Sugar City Con will be abbreviated to SCC in the 2017 Art Show Rules.
- Entry into the SCC 2017 Art Competition is $10 per entry. This entry fee must be payable by June 1st, 2017. We will only accept payment via sugarcitycon.com
- We accept mail-in artwork – if you wish to do this, please note it on the application (so that we know to expect it). If you are attending, though any return postage will be at cost to the artist, SCC takes no responsibilities for transport damaged or lost parcels. Artist will organize own freight or postage.
- Every artist exhibiting within the art show must sign, date and return a copy of the entry form. Each exhibiting artist must pay for at least 1 (one) art show space. No sharing of art comp spaces.
- Entries are limited to original works with themes of animation, comics, science fiction and fantasy, or fandom. These may be in any medium that can be displayed in our space.
- Reproductions of any kind are allowed, but only one copy of any image may be shown. Computer generated art will be limited for entry. It must be identified as such. If you wish to sell your artworks including those pieces in the competition please email email@example.com regarding a Vendor Pack.
- If you show artwork featuring a character that belongs to someone else, you must credit the owner/creator. For example, a drawing of Superman or Wolverine must be labeled on the physical artwork: “© DC Comics” or “© Marvel Comics”, respectively, in addition to having your signature. We will not show artwork that defames any real person or any fictional character. The judgment of the art show coordinator is final.
- SCC’s art show is open to all age groups. Artwork unsuitable for our audience will not be displayed. Your art as it is displayed must be approved by the art show coordinator before your piece will be accepted. The judgment of the art show coordinator in this matter is final. Please email the art show coordinator before the show if you have questions.
- Two-dimensional works must have surfaces not easily damaged by hanging. This means that these pieces will be mounted and matted. If you feel that your artwork is valued at more than $100.00 per piece, we strongly recommend that before it be displayed that you frame or shrink-wrap the art. And please, no glass in frames – it breaks too easily.
- If your artwork is framed or is a canvas frame, we strongly suggest you use a hanging wire; all canvas work will be displayed on easel’s during the SCC. SCC will not be held responsible for poor mounting. Using a row of hooks to perch your artwork on is also not acceptable (artwork will fall off the panel). If your artwork can’t be clamped with a standard bulldog clip, you must provide secure mounting hardware compatible with a standard pegboard hook. If we feel that your artwork cannot be displayed safely, we won’t allow it on a panel. SCC will advise of any issues with hanging directly with the artist.
- The SCC art show staff takes no responsibility for pieces that are damaged in handling while on display at the convention.
- All artwork must be clearly labeled (by printing, not longhand) on a Business Card size card. This detail must be presented when delivering pieces to Fredericks on Victoria Street. Artist information card must include the following details; Your Name, Name of the piece, Kind of Piece, Piece Description.
- Use regular paper stock or 120gsm cardstock – nothing heavier, or bound in some sort of book. You must print out and supply on delivering your art to the convention.
- All fees must be paid in advance. We will not reserve space for you until you have returned your dated entry form with your signature, and paid your fees. All payments must be made through the art page at www.sugarcitycon.com. No cash or cheque payments will be accepted.
- We will accept reservations in the art show until June 1st. Applications open Feb 5th 2017. Applications close June 1st 2017. All artwork must be delivered by 5.00pm August 4th 2017 to Mackay Showgrounds. All artwork must be delivered with entry information card.
- ABANDONED ART. ANY ART WORK NOT CLAIMED BY THE ARTIST OR THE BIDDER, IF NO ARRANGEMENTS WERE MADE FOR PICKUP OR RETURN, AT THE CLOSE OF THE COMIC-CON ON SUNDAY WILL BE CONSIDERED ABANDONED AND DISPOSED OF AT THE DISCRETION OF THE ART SHOW COORDINATOR.
- ART COLLECTION: ALL PIECES OF ARTWORK MUST BE COLLECTED from 5PM-6PM Saturday 5th August or 9PM – 12PM SUNDAY 6th AUGUST 2017 FROM MACKAY SHOWGROUNDS. TO MAKE OTHER ARRANGEMENTS PLEASE CONTACT THE ART COORDINATOR via firstname.lastname@example.org PRIOR TO THE SUGAR CITY CON.
- SCC does not have insurance on artwork being displayed or stored. You are responsible for your own insurance (check your homeowner’s or renter’s policy; you may have appropriate coverage there).
- As a reminder, the art show is staffed and run by volunteers. In all matters, the decision of the art show coordinator is final. The exhibitor agrees to protect, keep and save SCC forever harmless from any damages(s) or charge(s) imposed for violations of any law or ordinance by any exhibitor, their employees or agents, as well for failure to comply with the terms and agreements. Remember, the exhibitor shall at all times protect, indemnify, save and keep harmless SCC against and from any loss, cost, damage, liability or expense which arises out of or by reason of any act or omission of exhibitor, their employees, agents or buyers.
- If you have any questions about these rules or have any special requirements, please e-mail the Art Show Coordinator, email@example.com
- ENTRY FEE INTO THE ART SHOW DOES NOT INCLUDE A TICKET INTO SUGAR CITY CON, YOU WILL STILL NEED TO PURCHASE A TICKET TO GET INTO THE CONVENTION.
These are covered in the rules, but just to make sure:
- Sending an application without a payment will not get you into the art show.
- Estimate the space you need fairly accurately.
- Keep the art show informed on changes in your address or any contact info.
- Mat or otherwise protect your artwork – make sure hanging art can hang on a standard hook, not a nail (use a hanging wire, not a nail hole or sawtooth hanger). A row of hooks will not be allowed (as the artwork tends to fall off and break). Use no glass in framed artwork – IT ALWAYS BREAKS – either in transit or at the show.
- If you’re shipping artwork, use a solid box, and pack it properly. Sculpture artwork is especially susceptible to being tossed around – use plenty of bubble-wrap and/or packing foam.
- Information cards must be on card stock. Landscape not portrait & printed clearly either computer printed and CLEAR AND NEAT handwriting (not shorthand).
- PRINT your information and application form neatly, this makes our job easier and time saving when not having to decipher hieroglyphics.
- Make sure the information on your information sheet matches the information on your application form.
- Ensure your art pieces are no larger than 600mm x 450mm (either portrait or landscape). Sculpture or the like no heavier than 6kg and within 600mm diameter.
- Remember that your application to the Art Show you will still require a ticket to the convention to view your piece or want to show it off to your friends. Tickets can be purchased from www.sugarcitycon.com
- All application payments must be paid through our secure payment portal at www.sugarcitycon.com no cash or cheque will be accepted as a method of payment.